Want to spend your days surrounded by plants, collaborating with other creative, plant-obsessed people? Want to develop your skills, expertise, and vision in a beautiful garden environment?
Greensgrow is a non-profit, garden center and urban farm that creates experiences of sustainable community and wellness through education. We operate two mission-driven retail sites that help urban communities create green habitat in indoor and outdoor spaces. Greensgrow is a beautiful and fun place to work where you can connect your passion or creativity to the work you do. We are a professional organization that delivers educational services, and to that end, our employees seek to help visitors create a deeper connection with and understanding of their natural environment.
Successful staff members have a modest knowledge of plants and a focused work ethic; possessing the ability to take direction while also holding themselves to a high standard of execution. Whether the role is administrative or in our retail spaces, every position on our staff is critical to the creation of our mission-driven retail & educational experience.
This is a seasonal position working at the retail garden center in either Kensington or West Philadelphia. We are looking for three early morning water specialists who are the front line of our daily plant care. This position has a certain meditative quality, where the individual spends solitary time immersed in a landscape of indoor plants, flowers and trees. The ideal candidate has a high level of attention to detail, some plant knowledge and a desire to learn. Though the activity of watering is somewhat “simple”, it must be engaged in relationship to the plants one is caring for – sometimes thousands of individual plants. This position is idea for a mature, self starter with an interest to learn more about plants and communicate across a team. The ideal candidate loves the early morning and farm animals.
- Water all plant inventory for sale and all onsite gardens.
- Feed our farm animals in the early morning when the farmer is not yet on site.
- Ensure the well-being of plants and animals on site.
- Identify plants that are struggling and take them to our plant infirmary
- Dead-head and clean plant inventory
- Identify pest problems and communicate to the Horticulturalist
- Maintain a safe and organized workspace.
- Communicate easily with site manager and team.
- Detail oriented and able to follow direction while maintaining personal investment in ones own work
- Be an ambassador for Greensgrow – represent the values of the organization.
- Basic knowledge of trees, shrubs, and herbaceous perennials; annuals and edible plant starts is required.
- Enthusiasm to learn and grow are highly valued.
- Must possess a proactive nature and the ability to take initiative.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
This part time seasonal position from April – October. The shift is 7am -10am, 3-4 days a week, a total of 12 hours a week.
To Apply: Email resume & cover letter describing your relevant experience to [email protected], with subject title “Water Care Specialist: [WEST OR KENSINGTON] ” please list the location that you are applying for in the subject title to be considered
Position remains open and this post will remain up until it is filled. Please no phone inquiries.
Greensgrow is an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Location: Philadelphia, PA