Want to spend your days surrounded by plants, collaborating with other creative, plant-obsessed people? Want to develop your skills, expertise, and vision in a beautiful garden environment?
Greensgrow is a non-profit, garden center and urban farm that creates experiences of sustainable community and wellness through education. We operate two mission-driven retail sites that help urban communities create green habitat in indoor and outdoor spaces. Greensgrow is a beautiful and fun place to work where you can connect your passion or creativity to the work you do. We are a professional organization that delivers educational services, and to that end, our employees seek to help visitors create a deeper connection with and understanding of their natural environment.
Successful staff members have a modest knowledge of plants and a focused work ethic; possessing the ability to take direction while also holding themselves to a high standard of execution. Whether the role is administrative or in our retail spaces, every position on our staff is critical to the creation of our mission-driven retail & educational experience.
This is a seasonal position working at the retail garden center in either Kensington or West Philadelphia. There are a handful of positions for spring only work and a few that continue through the summer, fall and winter. We are a small team and everyone does a little bit of everything. We keep our customers informed and cared for, the animals happy and healthy, the plants watered, weeded, fed and placed in the right location. This team member may also be asked to assist in a variety of projects from planting to advising customers and will be expected to handle them professionally, with expertise and fantastic results. Point of sale register and retail sales experience necessary. Must have a proficiency in gardening or indoor plants. Expect to work a regular schedule 20-30 hours weekly, including weekends. We are open in all weather, so it is important to be able to work in all climate conditions.
- Provide excellent customer service with informative and community oriented demeanor.
- Ensure the well-being of plants and animals on site.
- Maintain a safe and organized workspace.
- Communicate easily with site manager and team.
- Detail oriented and able to follow direction while maintaining personal investment in ones own work
- Be an ambassador for Greensgrow – represent the values of the organization.
- Work individually or as part of a team to complete project based work
- Great people skills and ability to maintain positive relationships in the neighborhood.
- Basic knowledge of trees, shrubs, and herbaceous perennials; annuals and edible plant starts is required.
- Enthusiasm to learn and grow are highly valued.
- Experience and proficiency in using Point of Sale (POS) and inventory systems.
- Must possess a proactive nature and the ability to take initiative.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
This part-time seasonal ‘spring only’ position is February 15th – June 30th.
To Apply: Email resume & cover letter describing your relevant experience to [email protected], with subject title “Seasonal Team Member: (WEST or KENSINGTON)” based on where you are applying to work. If you do not list a location, your application will not be considered.
Position remains open and this post will remain up until it is filled. Please no phone inquiries.
Greensgrow is an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Location: Philadelphia, PA