Want to spend your days surrounded by plants, collaborating with other creative, plant-obsessed people? Want to develop your skills, expertise, and vision in a beautiful garden environment?
Greensgrow is a non-profit, garden center and urban farm that creates experiences of sustainable community and wellness through education. We operate two mission-driven retail sites that help urban communities create green habitat in indoor and outdoor spaces. Greensgrow is a beautiful and fun place to work where you can connect your passion or creativity to the work you do. We are a professional organization that delivers educational services, and to that end, our employees seek to help visitors create a deeper connection with their natural environment.
Successful staff members have a modest knowledge of plants and a focused work ethic; possessing the ability to take direction while also holding themselves to a high standard of execution. Whether the role is administrative or in our retail spaces, every position on our staff is critical to the creation of our mission-driven retail & educational experience.
The production farmer will be responsible for lean integrations of systems on the farm, keeping the propagation of seedling to sell, turning crops in the high-tunnel for rapid crop production with high varietal mix. The production farmer collaborates with the Seedsaving Resident, Planted Supervisor, Retail Supervisor and Farm Stand Assistant. The farmer leads tours, runs greenhouse production, leads volunteers organizes the farm and cares for the sense of its sanctuary in demonstrating ecological practices as well as providing food access.
The farmer will be responsible for oversight of weekend farmstand, engaging with the public about farming practices, growing and harvesting food with a focus toward educating and selling people urban solutions for growing more food, feeling more empowerment in their connection to land or plants.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Planning of crop rotation, plant management and soil health in 7000 Sqft of high tunnel space
- Planning and education for new annual farm beds at West Philly location
- Collaborating with Seedsaving Resident, Planted Supervisor, Retail Supervisor and Farm Stand Assistant to ensure integration of farm products: seedlings and produce
- Animal care: 10 chickens, 1 pig, 1 duck, 6 turtles, some fish
- Includes feeding & cleaning their living spaces
- Harvesting & packing Greensgrow-grown produce for the Greensgrow Farmstand and restaurant/wholesale customers
- Planting & maintaining our small demonstration hydroponic system and microgreens system
- Managing Farm volunteers & interns
- Engaging with restaurants and vendors to facilitate wholesale orders and tell the story of Greensgrow and its produce to be promoted at restaurants.
- 2+ years farming experience; growing in an urban environment preferred
- Customer service & managerial skills
- Extensive knowledge of the following:
- Seeding, crop planning, soil health, composting, irrigation, pest management, hydroponic growing, harvesting for market, raised beds & urban gardening
- Must be a hard-working team player with an energetic and positive attitude
- Must be prepared to handle strategic decision making for farming operations
- Must be willing to apply lean farming methods for high yield and low waste
This is a seasonal, full-time position from February – November
To Apply: Email resume & cover letter describing your relevant experience to [email protected], with subject title “Production Farmer”
Position remains open and this post will remain up until it is filled. Please no phone inquiries.
Greensgrow is an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Location: Philadelphia, PA