Greensgrow is a non-profit, social entrepreneurship project that has been creating innovative urban agriculture programs since 1997. We operate two community-based garden centers, host a year round Farm Share program with Philly Food Works in conjunction with a seasonal farm stand selling our farm raised produce, pantry items and highlighting the products of local farms. We offer affordable food programs serving a diverse constituency. Greensgrow holds educational workshops year round on a variety of subjects related to food, farming, plants and sustainability. Greensgrow prides itself in being an inspiring and fun place to work. Successful team members will bring a sense of humor, flexibility and a commitment to our core values of caring for people, planet, quality, and transparency. As a working farm, all employees are expected to help as needed with tasks outside their formal job description, including chasing chickens, shoveling snow, cleaning the kitchen, and giving tours.
This is a seasonal position working shifts at both Greensgrow Garden Centers (5123 Baltimore Avenue in West Philadelphia and 2501 East Cumberland Street in Kensington). This posting is for one job wearing several hats with a primary focus and backup skills. We are a small team and everyone does a little bit of everything. We keep our customers informed and cared for, the animals happy and healthy, the plants watered, weeded, fed and placed in the right location. This team member may also be asked to assist in offsite projects and will be expected to handle them professionally, with expertise and fantastic results. Point of sale register experience is a plus. Expect to work a varied schedule including weekends. We are open in all weather, so it is important to pay attention to forecasts to dress appropriately.
• Provide excellent customer service with informative efficiency.
• Ensure the well-being of plants and animals on site.
• Maintain a safe and organized workspace.
• Communicate concerns to site manager and team.
• Take actions to correct problems as soon as you see them or create a plan to make sure problems are addressed.
• Balance focus on primary responsibility with meeting all garden center needs. Focus areas include watering, horticulture and POS.
• Be an ambassador for Greensgrow – represent the tenants and values of the organization.
• Work individually or as part of a team to complete work as directed by a supervisor.
• Great customer service skills and ability to maintain positive relationships in the neighborhood.
• Basic knowledge of trees, shrubs, and herbaceous perennials; annuals and edible plant starts is required.
• Enthusiasm to learn and grow are highly valued.
• Experience and proficiency in using Point of Sale (POS) and inventory systems.
• Must possess a proactive nature and the ability to take initiative.
• Driver’s License for use of vehicles to make deliveries, transport product between locations.
This part time seasonal position starts April 8 and runs through the beginning of June. Pay rate is $12/hr, working approximately 30 hours per week. This position is eligible for staff benefits, including a monthly credit toward food purchases with Philly Foodworks, acupuncture and paid time-off.
Please fill out our online application here. Please do not call to inquire about this position. Greensgrow is committed to workplace diversity and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, disabled, and all aged candidates to apply.