Greensgrow is a non-profit, social entrepreneurship project that has been creating innovative urban agriculture programs since 1997. We operate two community-based garden centers, host a year round Farm Share program with Philly Food Works in conjunction with a seasonal farmstand selling our farm raised produce, pantry items and highlighting the products of local farms. We offer affordable food programs serving a diverse constituency. Greensgrow holds educational workshops year round on a variety of subjects related to food, farming, plants and sustainability. Greensgrow prides itself in being a transparent and fun place to work. Successful team members will bring a sense of humor, flexibility in their role and a commitment to our core values of caring for people, planet, quality, and transparency. As a working farm, all employees are expected to help as needed with tasks outside their formal job description, including chasing chickens, shoveling snow, cleaning the kitchen, and giving tours.
The Greensgrow Farms and Greensgrow West garden centers are the centerpiece of our physical presence and the place our customers find us in the physical world. The sustained success of the garden center businesses and the maintenance of the sites is critical to the vitality of the enterprise as a whole. The Garden Center Site Manager maintains relationships with visitors and neighbors, and cares for the team members, interns, volunteers, and the farm animals in our care. The ideal candidate will be extremely customer-oriented and have a sharp focus on maintaining an organized, tidy and safe environment at all times. This person will have a stake in building both the Greensgrow Farms and Greensgrow West garden centers to reflect the needs and desires of the local community, and will participate in shaping strategic direction for the organization in pursuit of its mission and vision.
This person will have responsibility for the management of the garden center staff members and will be a leader for the team and in the broader organization. With support from Greensgrow’s Director of Business and the administrative team, this position is responsible for adhering to business goals and budgets, working as part of a team to hire and train staff, managing inventory, and attending to the physical infrastructure of the farm in addition to supporting other Greensgrow programs and activities.
Successful individuals must be highly driven and well organized in order to succeed. Tasks and working hours outside of the “normal”, especially weekends, are often required and change seasonally. Much of this job will be spent working out of doors and side by side with team members leading while doing.
This is a full-time, salaried position and reports to the Director of Business.
• Lead team and work with admin staff to ensure Garden Center listens to and meets community needs, and provides exemplary customer service
• Ensure that the Garden Center’s look and feel is top notch at all times, performing at the caliber expected of Philadelphia’s #1 Garden Center.
• Be an ambassador for Greensgrow in the community at large.
• Ensure the Garden Center meets its sales and cost goals for the week-month-season-year.
• Manage the Garden Center’s staff to ensure team members work as scheduled, take required breaks, and use tools and materials wisely to control expenses.
• Provide input and feedback for annual budget development and quarterly updating.
• Maintain garden center plants throughout life cycle for sale-ability and merchandising.
• Ensure signage and pricing are on all merchandise.
• Work with Director of Business to develop and roll out merchandise in a seasonal plan.
• Ensure horticulture team and waterers maintain all plants properly: develop training and protocols to maintain plant health via watering, shading, disease treatment, up-potting, and any other cultural activity required.
• Work with Director of Business to identify inventory turnover days goals by product category to ensure that merchandise is moving out, in balance with an in-stock position on star products.
• Take the lead with customers seeking off-site installations, and facilitate a connection between them and the installations team.
• Take and post pictures of displays for use on social media, newsletters, and website.
• Ensure the Garden Center is clean, well maintained, and a safe place for visitors and employees..
• Carry out the values of Greensgrow in all tasks – sustainability, waste reduction, urban greening, best use of land and space within the farm, community, and teamwork.
• Work with and support the Marketing Manager and Events Coordinator with creating and facilitating educational workshops and events. Forward customer requests and keep a list of potential classes. Expect to lead or assist with a class and provide curriculum and class plan.
• Work with Director of Business and administrative team to develop ideas for how to best utilize the Garden Center to achieve the highest retail sales balanced with creating community space
• Expect to spend time in both locations during the course of any week, and to travel between the garden centers on a regular basis.
• Work closely with fellow Garden Center Site Manager and Director of Business to maintain continuity and consistency of site, merchandise, customer experience and mission.
• Recruit, interview, hire, manage, listen and provide ongoing feedback to, monitor, and evaluate seasonal staff.
• Understand and comply with all HR regulations, keep the handbook handy and develop fluency in policy and requirements. .
• Ensure all newly hired and returning staff receive initial introductory training. Provide follow-up training as needed to reinforce mission, improve customer service skills and product knowledge and cultivate a culture of constant improvement and learning.
• Ensure all assets (tools, supplies, office equipment) of the site are cared for and properly stored.
• Monitor opening and closing duties for staff.
• Ensure marketing and promotional materials are treated as assets – clean, prominently displayed, neatly stowed, and reported when low in stock.
• Work collaboratively with all members of Greensgrow’s leadership to develop an effective, unified team.
• Maintain healthy, respectful, productive relationships with all Greensgrow constituents and stakeholders.
Job Reporting Requirements:
• Conduct thorough site checks at least once per week; document and report any safety and security issues (to facilities) or animal health issues (to farmer) and cc Director of Business.
• Monitor merchandise to see that it is properly accounted for: follow all inventory procedures (assist with receiving, ring items appropriately, have a system for mark outs, transfer markouts to the COGS spreadsheet, conduct quarterly physical inventory in the first week of fiscal quarter.
Identify overstocked or slow moving items for markdown, transfer, markout, or storage.
• Monitor time punches for accurate and timely payroll accounting.
• Turn in receipts and expenses weekly (minimum frequency).
• Monitor daily cash register closeout reports & daily cash drops, count all cash once per week.
• Use POS system to optimize reporting and gain more intelligence about sales and products.
• Work with HR to maintain accurate job descriptions and matching daily checklists for job duties. Keep these task lists up to date on the shared Google Drive.
• Meet weekly with management team, and supervisory team and provide feedback. Advocate for your team and represent your customers.
Attend conferences and education workshops that would improve applied skill set.
• Retail Garden Center management experience
• POS and inventory management experience.
• Creativity and attention to detail in the merchandising space.
• Deep and broad horticultural knowledge;
• A firm grasp of competitive advantages in the garden center industry
• Experience building and leading effective teams
• Proficiency in POS systems, Excel and Google drive.
– Customer focused
– Team oriented
– Entrepreneurial spirit
– Mission driven
– Attention to Detail
– Critical thinking
This is a full-time, salaried position with a starting salary of $34,000 year. This position is eligible for commensurate staff benefits, including a health insurance subsidy, a monthly credit toward food purchases with Philly Foodworks, acupuncture, professional development stipend, and generous paid time-off.
This position is available immediately. Please fill pout our online application here.
Please do not call to inquire about this position.
Greensgrow is committed to workplace diversity and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, disabled, and all aged candidates to apply.