Greensgrow has operated since 1997, providing an essential connection to food and nature in the urban communities of Philadelphia, PA. It is an enterprise non-profit that earns its revenues (approx.. $700,000) as a functioning nursery and educational urban farm and demonstration garden that is nationally recognized as a leader in urban agriculture. As a non-profit dedicated to promoting social wellness through community green space, Greensgrow reconnects city dwellers with rural food producers and promotes the greening of Philadelphia’s homes and gardens.
Greensgrow consists of two garden centers, educational programming, food access programs and other projects that promote sustainability. Greensgrow Farms is the original farm built on a site that was once a factory in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia. And Greensgrow West is community hub built on a long-abandoned site on a West Philadelphia community retail corridor.
The Executive Director (ED) is a creative, highly skilled strategic thinker with a commitment to ecology and diversity who enjoys challenges and getting their hands dirty. The ideal ED will represent Greensgrow’s mission to the public, lead organizational development and strategic planning, optimize financial performance, design and oversee educational programming and demonstration, build donor and community relationships and oversee garden centers and staff. The Executive Director will also work closely with the Board of Directors to continue the mission of the organization while developing a clear vision that moves the organization forward in relevant and inspiring ways.
Executive Director Profile
The Greensgrow ED must possess a passion for, and commitment to, ecology, farming, sustainability, food access. The ED is responsible for fulfilling Greensgrow’s mission and overseeing all organizational and operational aspects of the non-profit and garden center, including its administration, financial operations, revenue generation, program development and activities, strategic planning, personnel building, management and retention. Some of the key responsibilities within these areas include:
- Motivate staff and stakeholders to understand and activate the mission
- Oversee the garden center retail operation including inventory planning and management, point of sale purchase systems, customer service protocols and marketing strategies to boost sales.
- Leads fundraising strategy and engages the board to meet annual financial targets
- Develops and supports the management team and ensures staffing structure meets the needs of the cyclical nature of the operation.
- Oversees financial management including monitoring of cash flow, financial reporting and forecasting and ensuring appropriate internal controls
- Guides and approves expenditures/investments in software, hardware, inventory, site improvements, equipment and tools to ensure efficiency
- Creates structure for and oversees hosting private events as a vehicle for earning revenue
- Establishes creative and financially sustainable programming that promotes the mission
- Ensures the garden centers infrastructure support healthy nurseries and demonstration pens for a very small group of farm animals
- Strengthens partnerships with aligned organizations and expands the engagement of BIPOC communities in the mission
- Continually enhances the branding framework for all communications including marketing and donor engagement
- Actively maintains relationships in the community and builds/supports the volunteer engagement program
- Serves as the face of the organization including social and speaking engagements at schools, professional conferences and with the press
- Prepares and presents materials to the quarterly board meetings including financials and maintains relationships with board members
- Ensures compliance with state and local certifications, legal guidelines and policies
- 5+ years’ experience in team leadership and executive decision making
- Capable “out of the box” problem solver that is motivated by challenges
- Experience developing planning and strategy for a cyclical business
- Experience in financial management and analysis
- Experience managing communications tools and strategies
- Keen understanding of the philanthropic sector
- In depth knowledge of the environmental, farm and food sector
- Retail management experience preferred
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply:
Please send resume & cover letter to [email protected] with “Executive Director” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Greensgrow is committed to workplace diversity and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, disabled, and all aged candidates to apply.