Mary’s Community Fund Application
Mary’s Community Fund is a legacy project to continue the life and work of Mary Seton Corboy, the founder of Greensgrow and a visionary in supporting a greener Philadelphia. The Fund provides small grants to individuals or organizations in Kensington, the Riverwards, West and South West Philadelphia for projects that will:
- Improve neighborhood public spaces;
- Beautify the community;
- Nurture a shared sense of neighborhood identity and community pride
To be eligible, a project must meet the following criteria:
- Project location must be in Kensington, the Riverwards, West and South West Philadelphia.
- Applicants must represent a specific neighborhood or organization and have assembled a team of people willing to work together on the project. Churches, schools, non-profits, block captains, and other community-based groups are all eligible to apply, but individuals may not apply for a project only led by themselves.
- Projects must align with Greensgrow’s commitment to creating a greener and healthier city.
- If the proposed project site is on private property, applicants must obtain written permission from the property owner to complete the project before applying.
- Applicant groups must have a plan for maintenance of the project.
Each applicant group may request up to $1000 in direct grant support towards the supplies and equipment portion of their project budget.
- Applications will be screened and selected by a committee of Greensgrow staff, neighbors, and representatives from the Corboy family.
- Funds will be for reimbursement of project expenses only, no cash will be given out. Winners can request funds as a Greensgrow gift card or request direct payment to an external vendor in lieu of reimbursement if preferred.
- All funding must be spent within 6 months of the date it is received (variances will be granted on a case-by case basis).
- Once funds are approved, the project must be executed before September 31, 2018.
Groups must submit a report and photos of the project by November 2018 updating Greensgrow on the status of the project and any impact.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
Completed applications must be received by March 1, 2018 by email, mail or online form.
- Online: fill out the application here
- Email: download the pdf and email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: send the completed application to
Attn: Mary’s Community Fund
2503 East Firth St.
Philadelphia, PA 19125
- Grantees will be notified by March 31 and announced at our Season Opening Event on April 7.
- The selection committee has the right to decline an application that does not meet the stated intent and criteria of the program, which is a competitive process.
- Funding must be spent during the award year and is available only as reimbursement for expenses or as payment directly to vendors. Winners are also able to receive their grant award in the form of a Greensgrow gift card.
- Be sure to take before and after photos of the project area to turn in with receipts of expenses in your final report