Philly Fixers Repair Fair at Greensgrow
- This event has passed.
We are pleased to partner with the Philly Fixers for one of their repair fairs! Greensgrow invites our community to embrace the values we share with Philly Fixers; Offering repair skill and promoting resourcefulness in our community. We agree that disposable “planned obsolescence” consumer culture we live with today isn’t always beneficial to the environment or people’s bank accounts.
The Philly Fixers Guild was started in early 2014 and is an independent collective of talented volunteers from differing technical backgrounds who are committed to the idea of “repair rather than replace.” In many instances guild members will not just simply fix items for people, but should work with them to teach the troubleshooting and repair process. Ultimately, our community will benefit from less waste and improved economic conservation.
Find out more about them here.
REPAIR FAIR GUIDELINES
The primary objective of the Guild is to shift our conventional wisdom that broken items should necessarily be thrown out and replaced. Repair Fairs are not intended to be just a free repair service. Instead they serve as a means to inform and educate people in troubleshooting and repair. The eventual goal being to enable folks to repair and mend things without assistance. Ultimately, less garbage will be generated while more resources and money will be saved.
Members of the community are welcome to bring in a broken or damaged item. This includes almost anything; even clothing and jewelry but there are limits and guidelines-see the list below. A volunteer Fixer will guide you in how to repair or mend your item, hopefully on your own. You learn how to troubleshoot and make repairs in the process.
Here are some examples of problems we can try to fix:
• Missing button on your coat
• Broken or tangled jewelry
• Vacuum cleaner that doesn’t turn on
• Toaster that won’t toast
• Broken handle on your favorite mug
• Laptop that won’t start up
• Dull kitchen knives
• DVD stuck in a broken player
• Stuffing coming out of a hole in your pillow
• One key on your computer keyboard doesn’t work
• Help needed to assemble your brand new Ikea chair
There will, of course, be some things that cannot be reasonably fixed or might need a part that must be ordered. In these cases, a fixer will recommend the best course of action. Usually, he or she will be able to supply you with info on part numbers and repair steps so you can complete the repair at home on your own!
Our talented volunteer fixers love the challenge of repairing everyday things. However, we do have to set some limits and guidelines so things can run a bit more smoothly:
• Guests are generally expected to stay with their item; dropping an item off for us to work on defeats the purpose of the Repair Fair
• We cannot work on weapons, vehicles or items that contain Hazardous Materials
• If you already know your item needs a particular replacement part, order it early and bring it with you to the fair
• As long as you can carry the item in, we will do our best to get it repaired