Join us with the Philly Fixers for Repair Fair #14 along with the Kensington Tool Library. The Philly Fixers team of volunteers will help you learn to make repairs to nearly any broken item you bring in, check out the guidelines below! Find out more about tool sharing from the Kensington Tool Library – we’ll be taking tool donations! This is a free event to help our neighbors to repair, rather than replace their possessions when they stop working.
Together we can decrease the amount of waste we create and reduce the amount of unnecessary purchases we have to make when things go wrong.
KENSINGTON TOOL LIBRARY
The Kensington Tool Library is a membership based, cooperative initiative serving the community by facilitating creative, home, and civic projects through tool sharing, education, collaboration, and conservation. Find out more. Bring any kind of tools in good working order to donate to the Kensington Tool Library.
PHILLY FIXERS REPAIR FAIR GUIDELINES
The overarching purpose of Repair Fairs is not to serve as a free repair shop. Instead, we encourage our guests to participate in the troubleshooting and repair process themselves. The hope is that eventually, folks will take home some of those diagnosis and repair skills; no longer needing the Philly Fixers Guild.
Here are some examples of problems we can try to fix:
• Missing button on your coat
• Broken or tangled jewelry
• Vacuum cleaner that doesn’t turn on
• Toaster that won’t toast
• Broken handle on your favorite mug
• Laptop that won’t start up
• Dull kitchen knives
• DVD stuck in a broken player
• Stuffing coming out of a hole in your pillow
• One key on your computer keyboard doesn’t work
• Help needed to assemble your brand new Ikea chair
Our talented volunteer fixers love the challenge of repairing everyday things. However, we do have to set some limits and guidelines so things can run a bit more smoothly:
• Guests are generally expected to stay with their item; dropping an item off for us to work on defeats the purpose of the Repair Fair
• We cannot work on weapons, vehicles or items that contain Hazardous Materials
• If you already know your item needs a particular replacement part, order it early and bring it with you to the fair
• As long as you can carry the item in, we will do our best to get it repaired
There will, of course, be some things that cannot be reasonably fixed or might need a part that must be ordered. In these cases, a fixer will recommend the best course of action. Usually, they will be able to supply you with the information on part numbers and repair steps so you can complete the repair at home on your own!