Become a Winter CSA member, sign up online here. You can pick up the Winter CSA on the farm or at our new location in West Philly!
Eating locally doesn’t have to stop when the summer season ends: you can support local farmers and producers, reduce your carbon footprint, and enjoy the bounty of our region from December–April. Greensgrow’s Fresh Food Team searches out and meets with our region’s finest farmers and producers to plan our winter shares. We make adjustments each year in response to the changes in the local food supply and input from our members, growers, friends, and staff. As always, we make it our mission to gather a selection of the best produce and local food items from within 200 miles of our fair city for each share. Join us as we navigate the ever-changing landscape of growing, storage, preserving, and sourcing 100% local food!
Greensgrow is a non-profit organization who’s mission is to engage with our neighbors in cultivating social entrepreneurship, urban agriculture, and community greening. At Greensgrow, we believe in transparency; we know our farmers and can verify their growing practices. We ensure that your food is grown, preserved, and sourced with adherence to the issues that mean the most to you: care for the environment, fair treatment for workers, investment in our region, protection of our water, and minimizing our carbon footprint. We source across the range of organic, IPM, non-GMO, low-spray and conventional product for each share.
What Makes Our CSA Special
• Our CSA includes more than veggies. The share mimics the way people cook and eat, rather than providing just one of the food groups. You’ll receive a choice of dairy or vegetable protein; milk, eggs, butter, yogurt, tofu or seitan. We also include seasonal fruit, fun specialty prepared items and a few pantry staples.
• Greensgrow is a Non-Profit. Your support helps sustain our food access and educational programming; The Greensgrow Community Kitchen, SNAP Box Program (a low income farm share) and Greensgrow Mobile Markets (bringing local foods to underserved neighborhoods). Reinvesting in our community is what we’re all about. Triple bottom line, social entrepreneurship; your support helps us do good work.
• Our Locations. This winter you can pick up at Greensgrow Farms in Kensington or Greensgrow West in West Philadelphia. At Greensgrow Farms you can observe a working urban farm in action while you shop at our farmstand and garden center. We carry a quality selection of produce, pastured and grass-fed meats, artisan cheeses, breads, locally produced goods, and plants galore. At Greensgrow West, you’ll be a part of the evolution of our new community and green space. In addition to the garden center you can expect a mini-farmstand with seasonal produce and local bread.
• Our Staff & Community. Members enjoy getting to know staff, volunteers, like-minded neighbors and fellow members through the seasons. Our CSA manager is accessible to you for questions or concerns, we’re just a call or text away! CSA hotline at (215) 380-4355 or email@example.com.
• Member Benefits. We offer online grocery shopping, member discounts on local cheese and meat and optional add on shares.
A CSA in Winter?
If you’ve participated in our CSA before, you know that members receive weekly shares of local produce and dairy or vegetable protein. In the winter, members pick up a share every other Saturday from early December through mid-April, with an exception over the holidays, when there’s a 3 week gap. At ten bi-weekly pick-ups it’s similar to the summer half share.
In the summer a wide array of products are plentiful, the shares are larger. In winter we offer three share types meat, vegetarian or vegan. It’s important to note that we occasionally include Maryland and New York producers in our search for the best product in the winter, while always striving for the least food miles. What is the goal? Remain true to our mission to support regional producers and growers while ensuring that the finest product is made available to our urban members.
If you have any questions, please contact us at (215) 380-4355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.